Understanding the design processes applied by UX professionals is the rage of the day. Therefore, I thought it would be fitting to share my experience with design processes. Over the course of my career, I have had the privilege of using several design processes:
- Jesse James Garrett’s 5 Planes approach
- Double Diamond
- Design Thinking
- Design Sprints
No matter the method used, I have always engaged in the following activities:
- Seeking to identify user needs and business objectives.
- Obtaining and confirming requirements and any known functional specifications (e.g., through interviewing stakeholders and subject matter experts or conducting design sprints).
- Engaging in efforts to learn more about user needs, processes, and pain points through research (e.g., ethnographic studies, contextual inquiry, interviews, surveys, etc.).
- Ideating and brainstorming about information architecture and interaction design principles.
- Beginning implementing IA and interaction design elements through initial construction of the interface.
- Facilitating data-driven efforts by validating designs via research.
- Iterating based on data obtained through research.
- Dialoguing with developers and quality assurance personnel during various stages of the design process, when possible and as applicable.
My flexibility enables me to operate via any method, focusing on achieving the goals at hand.
For agile environments, I strive to identify and commit to tasks during each sprint and report to the team daily and during the retro.
For Lean UX, I work to design and iterate quickly, seeking quick and actionable feedback on work to help the team achieve the associated goals.
I value the ability to gather stakeholders together for an extended period of time and view design thinking as a way to quickly secure information and help drive design efforts efficiently.
I work to offset the longer timelines by optimizing efficiencies that eliminate rework and sharpen decision making via data.
Source: Jesse James Garrett — The 5 Planes Design Process
SKILLS & acumen
- Heuristic analysis
- Remote usability testing
- Design thinking facilitation
- Contextual analysis
- Card sorting
- Survey design and management
- A/B testing
- Multivariate testing
- First-click testing
- Competitive analysis
- Formative & summative
- Qualitative & quantitative
- Data synthesis & analysis
- Information scent analysis
- Task flows
- Optimizing findability
- Experience maps
- Journey maps
- SWOT analysis
- POV decks
- Mobile phones
- Interactive TV
- Lean UX
- Interaction design
- Interface design
- Instructional design
- Desktop publishing
- Social media management
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.